NEW PROGRAM SUGGESTION - FEB, 2022
Own It: Building Black Wealth is a two-part initiative designed to address and work towards eliminating substantial barriers to wealth and homeownership for Black families in the Greater Madison area. The program does so by providing two key elements: an educational program and access to $15,000 for down payment funds with fewer restrictions. This pilot program is offered to families, alumni, and staff, for free, at One City Schools. We plan to continue this model with additional partner groups in the future.
What the program offers:
- Wealth Building and Homeownership courses, for free, along with continuing education and wealth building/homeownership cohorts for participants after completion of the courses.
- Down payment funds of $15,000, per family, for those who complete the educational program, will be available in February 2022.
- 31 families completed the first Wealth Building Course. There are currently 20 families in the Homeownership course.
- $350,000+ has been raised for the downpayment fund (which will help 23 families purchase a home). https://ownitbbw.com/
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality,
tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."
MHCA Anti-Racism Project Purpose
To connect the residents of the MHCA Neighborhood to issues of racial equity in a way
intended to create an inclusive, welcoming place to live and also to
inspire neighbors and city leaders towards policy-making to dismantle systemic racism.
The year 2020 and the start of 2021 have certainly had their share of civic challenges and therefore
we at MHCA felt it was time to address the topic of systemic racism in our community.
While we realize that some residents have been involved in these discussions through other organizations,
we feel it is important as a Neighborhood Association to show that we are open to inclusion and equality
and at the same time actively promote anti-racism while condemning white supremacy.
MHCA ANTI-RACISM PROJECT RESOURCES (most newly listed resources in green)
Education - Learn More about the History, Challenges and Progress regarding Racial Equity
- Hollaback! provides trainings on how to do your part to protect your neighbors and co-workers when bias and harassment collide in front of you https://www.ihollaback.org/bystander-resources/
- Library of Congress', National Archives' and other agencies' digital and physical holdings related to Asian/Pacific heritage https://asianpacificheritage.gov/
- PBS Wisconsin series Why Race Matters elevates issues of importance affecting Wisconsin’s Black communities https://pbswisconsin.org/why-race-matters/about/
- Upcoming events from Asian Americans Advancing Justice https://advancingjustice-aajc.org/events
- Alex Gee's documentary Justified Journey https://www.alexgee.com/justified-journey/
- PBS Wisconsin documentary Not Enough Apologies https://www.pbs.org/video/not-enough-apologies-8bdjrb/
- UW-Madison Educational Resources for White Allies
- Capital City Hues biweekly newspaper subscription http://www.capitalcityhues.com/
- Madison Racial Equity Lecture, “Why Race Matters”, Prof. Christy Clark-Pujara,
- Kids’ Read-aloud videos for parents to use with children:
- A Kids Book about Racism, by Jelani Memory
- Something Happened in Our Town, by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins,
and Ann Hazzard, Illustrated by Jennifer Zivoin
- Not My Idea: A Book about Whiteness, by Anastasia Higginbotham https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yafHWbDisI&t=8s
Governance - How to Connect with Local Government Initiatives
- Local leaders in Madison are condemning hate and violence toward Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/dane-county-board-condemns-hate-crimes-against-asian-americans-and-pacific-islanders/article_0a200ce1-dd4d-5d72-a111-4692905ecc96.html
- Rep. Shelia Stubbs targets 'racially motivated police calls' in new bill https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/rep-shelia-stubbs-targets-racially-motivated-police-calls-in-new-bill/article_bfcd7126-98cf-5850-8a27-8480dcc9712d.html
- Madison Civil Rights Racial Equity Initiative/Programs https://www.cityofmadison.com/civil-rights/programs/racial-equity-social-justice-initiative
- Dane County Office for Equity and Inclusion https://equity.countyofdane.com/
- City of Madison Department of Civil Rights https://www.cityofmadison.com/civil-rights
- Madison Underrepresented Communities Historic Resource Survey Report (draft) https://www.cityofmadison.com/dpced/planning/documents/Underrepresented%20Communities%20Intensive%20Survey%20Report%20-%20DRAFT%207-2-19.pdf
Involvement - Be Active in Projects Going On in our Community
- A team of Black investors seeking to amplify the wealth of Black families using home ownership as a catalyst
- Mo Cheeks' Bread & Justice newsletter for those who want to make sourdough bread & also make a more just society
- Madison-area Urban Ministry (dba JustDane) programs for individuals and families involved in the criminal justice system